Saturday, August 22, 2009

Update

This week has certainly had some ups and downs. Wednesday was my birthday so it definitely gave us something to focus on. Misty asked Ben what he wanted to get me and he replied some Goo Goo Car washes. It is a local place that you can buy a gift certificate to. Well they had just done that for Father's Day so she told him that was out. Recently I was installing a new drain line for a new laundry room. I had several different pieces of PVC and was connecting them all to our rain barrel outside so Misty can water the plants with our washing machine water. The entire time Ben was there with me probably causing me more trouble than help.

So back to the story when Misty asked Ben what else he simply replied "plumbing, you know Daddy likes plumbing. And let's get him a bunch of pieces!" So we went to Home Depot and I wandered around and he got to pick out 10 - 15 PVC connectors and he thought that was the greatest thing EVER. Then Misty gave me a choice of something or a Wii. I have really wanted a Wii but was hesitant because I didn't know if it would be too complicated for Ben just yet. I talked with the guy at Wal Mart for 20 minutes and we took one home with us. Well as I said earlier this has been something to focus on is really the understatement of the month. We had so much fun watching Ben playing the games! Now he is wanting to play it 24/7!

We also visited The Amelia Center this week and had a great hour with our counselor. He gave us a great analogy about this chapter in our lives. He said if you will imagine the grief and pain being a ball inside a jar. The ball will never shrink no matter how much time passes. But our goal is to make the jar bigger around the ball. In other words grow your world with experiences around the grief/pain. So the Wii definitely has helped us to start having some fun experiences together and "grow" our world around everything that has happened in the past 2 weeks.

We are also contemplating a short weekend trip for the 3 of us next month to Disney World. I think for us to experience Ben having the time of his life will do both of us wonders. Although he told me the other day "Daddy we need to go on vacation soon and we need to go to an island in the ocean." I guess we have spoiled him some already. Back in May I had a trip to San Juan and St. Maarten so Misty and Ben went with me. He has experienced a lot for a 4 year old, in fact he has had a passport since he was 2. So I hope Disney will suffice for him!!!

I can't say enough about the continued prayers and support that everyone is offering for us. We can definitely tell that God is with us as we continue to walk down this path.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Robbie and Misty,
    My friend, Stacy Whittington, shared your story and blog with me today. I'm so sorry to hear about your precious Amelia. Three years ago my husband, Ben, and I lost our daughter, Olivia, due to premature birth. I am also a patient of The Amelia Center and cannot say enough wonderful things about the counselors. We will be participating in the Baby Steps 5K this Saturday. We have a team called Olivia's Butterflies. I will be looking for you guys. I hope I have the chance to meet you there.

    ~ Lurenda Avery

    ReplyDelete